Saturday, December 26, 2009

One journey ends

This is my first post on my new blog, which I created to chronicle our family's adventure in raising a service dog puppy for Canine Companions for Independence. We started the application process in July 2009, just after our 14-year old dog, Foster, was diagnosed with an aggressive form of bone cancer. Foster's inital prognosis was two weeks to three months. Thankfully, the cancer was not nearly as aggressive as we had feared, and we had Foster with us for five more months. He lost his battle with cancer just two days before Christmas, which was devastating to my family. I have gained solace from the many kind words of friends and family, and in knowing that Foster is no longer in pain. In fact, I hope he's lying in a big patch of sunshine somewhere on a soft fluffy bed. His passing was made easier by the wonderful vet at Hillsboro Animal Hospital, who made is as calm and peaceful an experience as I could have ever hoped for.


I'll post again when we hear from CCI that our puppy is arriving, sometime in January.


KP

No comments:

Post a Comment